Thursday, February 02, 2006

Hey tubey!

I finally got to work on Tubey again last night while Lori and I knitted. I bound off on the first sleeve after trying it on, then unraveled the crochet cast on, which was a pain in the ass. The wool fibers really stuck together, so it didn't come out as smoothly as I'd hoped it would. Also, somewhere I lost a stitch. Neither I or Lori could find a dropped stitch, though we looked it over several times, so I can only assume that I lost it due to the slipped stitch at the beginning of each row. I made a stitch, but it bothers me that I had to do it, and it probably always will. However, in the interest of progress, I guess I can live with it. I'm about an inch or two in to the second sleeve now, and here's what it looks like:

bell sleeves

yar.

The edges of the sleeve and back are really curling, despite a row of purl on the sleeves before the bind-off. I am hoping that a good blocking will correct that and I think that the back rollage will be taken care of when I pick up the stitches for the body.

Thanks for your comments on my car photo. That was fun, though I wheezed and hacked for about three minutes after I did that. So sad. Hope that everyone's "training" for the olympics is going well!

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

You didn't drop a stitch, it has something to do with the crochet cast on. A couple months ago, I made my first pair of socks using Wendy's Generic Toe Up Sock Pattern and when I unzipped the crochet cast on, I kept coming up one stitch short. And then I re-read the directions and saw this:

"When you unzip your provisional cast-on, you will have one less stitch than the total you picked up and knit. You can create that extra stitch at the end, by picking up the loop between the last stitch created with the provisional cast-on and the first live stitch."

So now you won't have to be annoyed that you had to make a stitch. I love the red that you're using!

10:36 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Jenn beat me to it -- I was going to say that I've had the same problem with the crochet cast-on. Glad to know I'm not the only one! Tubey looks great, and I think I may need to put it on my "To Knit" list for after the Knitlympics.

Thanks for your concern. Fortunately I'm okay, just a freak fainting spell, I guess. To add even more humor to the incident, I just got a call from the head of security at the history center to follow up. His name? Tom Murphy. No, I'm not kidding.

10:55 AM  
Blogger luvs2knit said...

Jen...I love the way Tubey looks, plus I love the color. I'm a red girl, all the way.

Looking forward to seeing the sweater done.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for pictures of Tubey. I'm leaning toward that as my next major project. (Since it seems to take me several months to finish socks, it won't be for awhile, I'm afraid.) I'll be checking back to see how the final product fits. (I'm worried about sizing it wrong.)

5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home