Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Liar, liar...

Remember the post wherein I swore that I was next going to knit a sweater from the stash that I already had a pattern for? I lied. I've been seduced.

I wasn't really feeling the stripes, though I did think about knitting the body in Silk Garden or Kureyon. I decided instead on an all solid version and wanted it to be easily washable, which led me to Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride superwash. I loves me some Brown Sheep and the gauge seemed right, so I lost no time in placing an order to Webs for some in Shane's Red. On a side note, this was my first order from Webs and I was very, very satisfied. But I digress. Though the yarn arrived before Christmas, I didn't get to swatch until last week:

a morning cup of tea and a blocking swatch

The gauge is almost perfect, and boy does this yarn wash and block well. I swatched in the round with both stockinette and 3 x 1 rib. I got Lori to help me take the across-the-back measurement, then got started on the way to visit Mark's grandparents in Ligonier on Monday:

crochet cast on

That's a shot of the crochet cast on, and boy I hope I did that correctly! Took me a minute to figure out what the heck she meant, and the fact that I am not a crocheter didn't really help the matter either. Incidentally, we did not stop at Kathy's as I thought it would be best to save myself the agony of temptation.

Here's a shot of my progress as of today:

you may be asking yourself, 'where does she get all of those ugly towels?'

I'm not even halfway finished with this section, which will make up the top of the back and edge of the collar. I am a pretty slow knitter, and a slower purler, so I am looking forward to the part where I can start knitting the tubes.

In reading news, I am currently making my way through the Yarn Harlot's second book, which was a Christmas gift from my mother. I am positive that the people on the bus now think that I am a total lunatic. First it was the obsessive knitting, and now, the blatant snort-laughing as I read. Perfect.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I am so excited to see this sweater knit! I was not a huge fan of the strips either, since I think they kind of obscure the shape of the sweater. I'll definitely be interested to hear your opinion of the pattern once you're done (I'll need it to help me decide whether I'm brave enough to attempt an adult-sized sweater).

Oh, and from what I can see in the picture, the crochet cast-on looks right to me. You'll be able to tell immediately if you've done it correctly when you try to pull the scrap yarn out: if it comes out easily, you've got it. Of course, I actually do know how to crochet but still manage to screw this up. Go figure.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Yvonne said...

That looks awesome, Jen!!! And you can't not snort when reading Yarn Harlot stuff. It just happens.

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great in that heathered red! I'm sure you've got the crocheted cast on under control, though I've never seen or tried it myself as yet.

I think tubey in solid color will look nice than the stripes, like SJ said - you'll totally be able to appreciate the pattern better that way.

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home