Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Happy happy...

...holidays to all of you out there. I am proud to report that I finished the scarf for my mom:

modeled fetchingly by a plaster bust of Dante Alighieri

closeup, duh.

My mom absolutely loved it and hinted that she would like a dressier, lightweight scarf. Her birthday is in May, so I guess I know what I'll be gifting her with. Anyone out there have an easy and portable lace wrap pattern to suggest? I was thinking along the lines of feather and fan, but I'm open to similarly easy pattern suggestions. I need to be able to memorize the pattern to work it on the bus, and I am not a great memorizer.

Our Christmas was wonderful and we were both spoiled by our friends and families. Here's our holiday photo from this year, our first one with an actual tree:

mmm...glowy

On the right of the photo, you'll notice a red felted stocking, which is accompanied by a green one:

lovely

These stockings were gifted to Mark and I by the incredibly talented, incredibly generous Jane, along with some Penzey's Mint Hot Chocolate mix (because she knows how I do love the mint and the chocolate!). Jane came all the way from her home (with her lovely children- ho ho ho!) to the December 21st knit night just to give me these stockings that she knit because she remembered being a newlywed and not having any stockings for her first Christmas with her husband. Jane, thank you. This is truly one of the most thoughtful gifts that I have ever received, and Mark and I were so touched that you would think of us both.

Speaking of the knit night, I got to meet the very sweet SJ from Knit/Wit after corresponding via blog and email. I apologize for being a little distracted- when I got to knitting, my sister-in-law called to tell me that my mom was in the hospital, and I spent the next couple of hours trying to contact someone and figure out why and how she was doing. Turns out, she had a problem with her blood pressure, and all is fine now, thank goodness (one of many things to be thankful for). Thank you to Lori for keeping me sane while I was trying to figure out what was going on. Had she not been there, I'd have been a basket case.

At the risk of sounding too mushy, I hope that everyone out there has as much to be thankful for this holiday season as I do. Happy happy to you all!

4 Comments:

Blogger luvs2knit said...

I soooo glad that you and Mark liked the stockings!!! They look great on your hearth! I hope you enjoyed your first Christmas being married. Ho ho ho!!

10:46 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

The scarf looks beautiful -- glad ot see that you decided it was finally "long enough," which I know was tough for a long scarf fan! Also glad to hear that your mom is doing better.

Hope you had a great Christmas! It was great finally meeting you, and I'm looking forward to the next meet-up.

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the scarf. How about for a lighter weight scarf the Branching Out Scarf on www.knitty.com. It's a favorite of many, and is really a beautiful pattern.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

That scarf is beautiful! I just love it. As for a lighter weight pattern, I did the "Misty Garden" scarf from "Scarf Style" for my mother for Christmas with a cashmere yarn I got on sale from Elann.com. It was easy and she loved it.

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home