Tuesday, October 07, 2008

A couple of hats, and a scarf problem.

So, the babies have decided to stay in and bake a little longer, much to my discomfort. Not wanting to start anything new or difficult, I turned to an old favorite - the one-skein hat pattern from Simply Noro:





Pattern: Hareton by Jane Ellison [Ravelry link]
Yarn, etc.: Noro Kureyon, colorway 134 (top photo) / Noro Silk Garden, colorway 201 (bottom photo); Addi Turbo needles, size US 8 / 5.0 mm
Mods: Cast on an additional four stitches for the Silk Garden hat, knit to seven inches instead of six and a half before starting crown shaping; no mods on Kureyon hat

I think that this must be at least the tenth or eleventh time that I've knit this pattern, and I always find it to be quick and satisfying knit. Also, for whatever reason, just watching the colors change as I knit with Noro never fails to amuse me.

After I finished the hats, I dug out an old UFO:



That's My So Called Scarf, in a particularly gorgeous colorway of Manos. After I took this photo, I ripped it. I just was not happy with how sloppy the edges were looking, so I restarted it, increasing the stitch count and slipping the first stitch of every row. Unfortunately, it still looks sloppy, with big, loose loops on the edges. I love this yarn, but the pattern is driving me crazy. Anyone out there have any ideas on how to neaten up the edges?

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

No suggestions for fixing the edges, but I love the color of that Manos!

7:16 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Could you cast on an extra stitch for each edge so that you could slip it at the beginning of each row before starting the pattern?

7:38 PM  
Blogger Yvonne said...

I love the colors of Noro but can't stand the feel of it. :( I do, however, LOOOOOOOVE Manos!! And I think your scarf looks gorgeous. Perhaps the edges will neaten up in the blocking??

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could try the edging that Annie Modesitt does in her Backyard Leaves scarf in the Scarf Style book. It makes a beautiful and neat edge!

11:03 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Thanks, Liz! I have that book and will check out the edging!

11:26 AM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

I really love how the edges of my Noro Scarf (the never-ending traveling project) look. I'm slipping the first and last stitch on every WS row. Don't know if that will help on your project or not, but it's something to think about!

2:49 PM  
Blogger sophanne said...

knit wit sent me over! Happy Babies! Congratulations!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Congratulations on the birth of your twins! I have a set of b/g twins who are 4 1/2. If you are on Ravelry, be sure to join our Moms Of Multiples group!

2:13 PM  
Blogger redmittens said...

Ditto the twin congratulations--mine are 8 (two boys). You're in for a wild ride!

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home