Monday, April 24, 2006

The city of yarn love...

This weekend, Mark and I traveled to Philadelphia to visit with this friend:

too cute. not me, obviously, but the baby.

and her parents Matt and Melissa. By the way, the sweater in the photo is this one in action. We had a great time. We had cheesesteaks from Dalessandro's, walked around the city, and visited yarn shops. You see, Melissa is such a fabulous host that she arranged a trip here:

Rosie's Yarn Cellar

where they had a lot of this:

the Koigu

We also visited a new-ish shop in the area called The Main Skein. Sorry, no photo of that as it was raining pretty hard during our visit and I did not want to take the camera out of the bag. However, I did bring back a souvenir from The Main Skein:

Diakeito

That's Diakeito Diamussee Fine - a yarn I'd never seen before but instantly fell in love with. Does that colorway make you salivate or what? I know it did to me, so I think that this is destined to be a pair of socks in the very near future.

I was also an enabler. I bought Melissa a couple of skeins of Cascade 220 and some bamboo needles, and we had a little knitting lesson late on Saturday night. She's a natural knitter and was having a great time with it. Of course, I did some knitting myself, mostly in the car:

big feet

All in all, a relaxing weekend. In May we have a wedding to go to in New Jersey, so Mark and I will be spending a few days with friends there and in NYC. The friend that we are staying with can't get off work one of the days that we will be there (damn the man), though that gives me a day to do stuff on my own. I'm planning to go to the MoMA, since I've not yet seen the new building. Can anyone recommend some good NYC yarn shops (preferably any that are in the general vacinity of the MoMA that have great sock yarns) for me to drop in on while I am there?

7 Comments:

Blogger Yvonne said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Yvonne said...

Hi, it's me again...sorry for the deleted comment...brain is not functioning. Check with Holly (finneganpurlknits.blogspot.com) about the yarn shops in NYC...she was there not too long ago!)

7:47 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Ah, Rosie's, my old neighborhood! Sigh!

That yarn is beautiful! It will make you some lovely socks that will cheer up your feet on a nasty Pittsburgh day!

8:24 AM  
Blogger Emma said...

Looks like you got quite a bit of shopping done. Glad you had fun with your friends, and the Koigu is beautiful!

9:36 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

You are gonna have such a great time! Here are two cozy shops that I really like. They aren't in the direct vicinity, tho. School Products is definitely worth the trip.

School Products
1201 Broadway, 3rd Floor (near 29th St.)
New York, NY 10001

The Yarn Connection
218 Madison Avenue (btwn 36th and 37th Streets)
New York, NY

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

More Koigu. Koigu ahoy!

I actually looked at that very same yarn (the Diakeito) in Portland - very knitalicious.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

"Purl" is on Sullivan Street in Soho. It's really small but they have lots of Koigu. And you might run into Julia Roberts there... I've heard she frequents that store and she is now appearing in a broadway show in NYC.(my sister and brother-in-law went to see it and said it was HORRIBLE!)

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home