Sunday, March 18, 2007

How cool is this?

Several months ago, Mark requested another pair of socks. A pair of red socks. Because he has another pair of them that are holding up really well, and he likes the feel of the yarn, I tried first with some KnitPicks Sock Memories in the colorway Redwood Forest. That yarn just pooled like the dickins, and wasn't half as pretty in person as it was on the KnitPicks website, I thought. I poke in on Jessie's blog and her online shop, A Piece of Vermont, from time to time. I'd never placed an order before, but her colors are beautiful and the yardage in her skeins is amazing, so I looked there and found this lovely yarn, in a colorway Jessie calls Lipstick:



You can't really tell from the photo, but the yarn has some spots of lighter red/pink in it, so the husband vetoed it (more for me!).

A couple of weeks passed, and I looked at several different yarns that I liked. There was Koigu, but the yardage in two skeins just wouldn't be enough for his size 12 feet. Lorna's doesn't appear to make a true red. Ditto for Claudia's.

One day, when looking for other people who'd knitted Lady E in Silk Garden 203, I came across this amazing knitter and her blog. I spent probably an hour or more perusing her blog. Her knits are gorgeous, and everything she knits looks fabulous on her - she should be a knitwear model!

In the process of perusing, I noticed these socks, and I absolutely fell in love with the colorway, from Yarntini. So, I check out Yarntini's web site, and notice colorways called Three Rivers, Steel City, etc., and realize that this person must be in Pittsburgh! I emailed and asked about the colorways, and Jessie at Yarntini told me that she could do a special order for the yarn. I placed my order, and then a light goes off in my head. I asked her if she would custom-dye a man-approved red, and she did!





A color just for Mark! Well, not really just for Mark. Apparently Jessie was pleased with it and dyed a bunch of skeins, which appear to have sold like hotcakes at her Etsy shop. Thanks, Jessie - the husband loves it!!

Lady E is cruising along. We both hope to see you Pittsburgh knitters this Wednesday at the Waterworks Barnes and Noble for knitting night. We start around 7 - see you there!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Isn't Jessie's Vermont Yarn great? It's so pretty, I just like to pet it, and its living in my stash waiting for the perfect pattern to come along.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Ooh, all that yarn looks lovely. Will you bring it Wednesday for us to pet?

8:07 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Lady E is soooo amazingly beautiful. Are you going to bring it Wednesday? I am planning on coming and would love to see it in person.

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

such a shame that you had to keep the yarn hubbie didn't approve for yourself... :)

the yarntini colors are amazing. not that i need to buy any yarn, but i'll definitely check out the site.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Wow.. your knitting looks great. I love the Jaywalkers and your Lady E. I have some Noro ordered to make another Lady E and I can't wait for it to come in. I haven't made the Jaywalker pattern yet, but I should try it out. I hate to have to think while knitting socks but maybe they aren't so bad.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Kari said...

Beautiful yarn. :-)

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home