Thursday, January 25, 2007

The yarn is out to get me.

I started the Mark's new socks out of the new Knit Picks Sock Memories, and that sucker started pooling on me right away. I stupidly knit away for a while, thinking it would just take a couple more rows to variegate or at least stripe nicely, but no dice. The last time this happened, I started over with the other end of the ball, and it worked! Naturally, I thought it would work again, and naturally, I was wrong:

bleh.

This yarn is a no-go. Perhaps it will be very happy someday as a baby garment, but alas, not as socks.

The good news for me is that I love the new Knit Picks DPNs. My only possible complaint is that they're pretty heavy, which makes it hard to juggle them until you get about an inch of knitting on them. The points are very sharp and they are slick, slick, slick - perfect for a tight knitter like me. I was so excited about them, that I decided to start on my mom's birthday socks. Her birthday's in May, but I suck, so I figured I'd get a headstart. I had some Koigu that I was trying to make up into a cable pattern before deciding that the beautiful yarn was just way too busy for cables:



I ripped and started over, planning to do a 1x1 cuff, switching to 3x1 ribbing for the leg. Don't you know that the damn thing started pooling on me?



I may be stupid, but, as you can see, I'm trying the starting from the other end of the ball trick again. It's too early to tell if it'll pool, but I am hoping that will be a no.

Now for some yarn that is not out to get me - at least, not yet:



That gorgeous pile (Silk Garden 203 - made possible by Mark through a generous gift certificate for Yarns By Design) is destined to be a Lady Eleanor. I never really had much inclination to try entrelac, until I saw SJ's gorgeous finished Lady E. SJ - I may need to solicit your assistance on this one!

Thanks to all of you for your nice comments on the last socks. Lis - you should totally join us next time! Are you reeeaally far? Brooke, I hope that Knitty tutorial helped out. And, Amanda, I was totally hanging from an I-beam a la Krazy Glue.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Argh, how annoying! Pooling is usually why I don't go for variegated yarns, because I almost never get the pseudo-striping pooling and almost always get the ugly kind. Usually I just try to go with it and tell myself that the pooling is pretty! I like it! (Do I sound convinced?) Anyway, I hope it works out somehow.

I'll be happy to help with Lady E if you need any assistance. I gotta tell you, though, that entrelac is much easier than it looks. If you can pick up heel flap stitches in a sock (and I know you can do that), then you can do entrelac. Yours will be gorgeous -- great colors on the Noro! And what a thoughtful and enabling husband you have!

2:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck with the socks and the entrelac - it is some fun stuff!:0)

7:04 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

sorry about the pooling. there's just no cure for it!
i think you should totally go for lady e -- i love all the finished ones i've seen.

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, let me know when you start your entrelec Lady E - I will be interested in some helpful hints so I can attempt a pattern for a bag with my Noro.

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home