Thursday, January 18, 2007

First 40 sighting of the new year.

yep, there it is

I worried that I was too obvious with my 40 snapping last night (people were staring), so, as cover, I quickly snapped a shot of the girls like I was taking photos of everything:



Obvious? Nah, not me.

But wait! I actually finished something! Behold:



Those are some plain vanilla socks, knit with Claudia's Hand Painted Yarn in the "Walk in the Woods" colorway. Regular sock recipe with 1.5 inches of 2x2 ribbing at the cuff and stockinette for the rest. I used Brittany birch DPNs for these. I love Brittanys, but at 5 inches, these were just an inch too short for knitting adult socks, in my knitting opinion (but they'll be great for baby socks). I think that Brittany only makes 5 and 7 inch needles, and I find 7s to be a bit too long. Oh well, the search for the perfect DPNs continues.

Speaking of, I am hoping that my new needles may be the ones. Mark has made a request for some red socks, so I ordered some Knit Picks Sock Memories in Redwood Forest. You know that you can't spend under $40 there (very smart, that free shipping limit), so I thought I would try their DPNs, which look promisingly like my beloved Addis, but with much sharper points:



I can't wait to try them out!

she thinks I'm crazy

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha, Stella's ears look huuuuuuuuuuuge.

KnitPicks, if I remember correctly, just raised their free shipping limit to $45. I just got a ton of yarn (yay gift certificate!) and some of their dpn's but I haven't tried them yet.

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like you girls had fun the other night. I'm sorry I didn't make it, but trust me, you didn't want my germs there. (I actually had to leave work early yesterday because I was so out of it and light-headed.)

Love love LOVE the socks -- you are on quite a Claudia's Handpaint kick, aren't you? I must try it one of these days. Just curious, what's your regular sock recipe? Is it your own design, or is it a basic pattern you found somewhere?

8:18 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

the socks look smashing! Quite!

I like the "dangling" pic. Are you hanging from an I-beam with a super magnet hat?

Stella looks like she could model for George Rodrigue, the guy who paints Blue Dogs. :-)

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally forgot about wed night, mid-month knitting. oh well.

hope you had a fruitful evening.

stella looks like a googly-eyed aeroplane.

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great socks. That last picture is a classic.

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenn,
I got the KnitPicks double pointed needles for x-mas this year! Only problem is I have never done a project on double pointed needles and ask for them to try my first pair of socks, but IT IS SO CONFUSING to me! I can't figure it out. I need a serious tutorial. Anyone got any ideas of a web site or book with really clear instructions for using a set of dp needles?

8:15 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Hi Brooke! Check out this tutorial at Knitty: http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer03/FEATtheresa.html

Hope this helps! You can also try knitting on two circs, but I personally prefer DPNs for socks. It's just not the same for me with the circs.

SJ - I used this great tutorial to learn to knit socks: http://www.cometosilver.com/socks, and based on the fit of my first pair, I adjust my stitch count up or down in groups of four for different yarn weights (and no, I don't swatch). Probably not the best way to do it, but my socks always fit wonderfully!

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The socks look great, and the doggie is so cute! You guys seem to have such fun at your knitting group....wish I lived closer. :-(

A

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH I love that last shot. What a great upside down dog photo.

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the suggested dpn instruction sites! Can't wait til the weekend to get a chance to give it a good shot:0)

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home