Monday, August 27, 2007

Show and tell.

Since I've made no real progress on Lady E as of late, today will be for show and tell. A few weeks back, Yarns By Design held a sale in honor of their first anniversary. Even though I needed to buy yarn like I need a hole in my head, I was there with bells on as soon as the shop opened and procured the following:

Noro Silk Garden, 84
Four of thirteen balls of Noro Silk Garden in colorway 84

Alpaca With a Twist Fino, 98
One skein of Alpaca With a Twist Fino in color 98

The Fino is a laceweight yarn, bought in a fit of optimism. Fresh off of my dubious success with the lace pattern of the Dream in Color Shrug, I was emboldened to try another lace project (and have you seen how pretty that Fino is?). It was only after the purchase and talking to some other knitters that I realized that I should probably crawl with some heavier weight yarn before running with a true laceweight one.

Since I surely did love that Dream in Color yarn and had been wanting to try their fingering weight version (Smooshy), I did a little digging on Flickr and found this lovely completed version of the Forest Canopy Shawl. I am armed with the pattern (which the designer swears is perfect for beginning lace knitters), and the yarn arrived today:

Dream in Color Smooshy, colorway Black Parade
Dream in Color Smooshy, colorway "Black Parade"

Though I want to cast on for the shawl right now, I am not allowing myself to do it before I complete Lady E, or else I will never finish her. I guess I'd better get to it!

In other knitting news, my Jitterbug socks are coming along slowly as I sneak in a row here and there when I can get a seat on the bus:



I might have them finished by the time that it's cold enough to wear them!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Oh my God. That Noro is gorgeous! Do you have any ideas what to make with it?

10:00 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

SMOOSHY! My holy grail of yarn at the moment! Can you bring it next week so I can check it out in person? Pleeeeease?

11:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Yes, please bring Smooshy for us to pet! Pretty please?

You will be golden with the lace, trust me. But let me give you a bit of advice if you're knitting with black yarn -- knit with plenty of light! (Ask me how I know this is a good idea!)

8:07 AM  
Blogger mehitabel said...

Black yarn? If you don't have an Ott light yet, do invest in one! I love that Smooshy though, and the color looks wonderful! And that Noro--swoon! I don't need more yarn, really I don't, so please stop tempting me!

1:47 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Wow, that alpaca looks delicious!

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home