Sunday, November 25, 2007

I can knit lace after all!

112507_FCSdetail

112507_FCSfinished

Pattern: Forest Canopy Shawl by Susan Pierce Lawrence of I'm Knitting as Fast as I Can

Yarn: Dream in Color Smooshy, Black Parade, one skein (29 grams left over)

Needles: Knit Picks Options circular needles, size 7

Mods: Knit 13 pattern repeats instead of 10 for a total of 243 sts before beginning border

I never thought I would be able to do it, but I've actually successfully completed a grown-up lace project. The designer is absolutely correct - this is the perfect beginning lace project. I made a couple of errors in the very beginning, and then at the very end (the errors were due to my own laziness in not paying attention, not due to the pattern, which is wonderfully written), but other than those minor stumbles, it was smooth sailing and an enjoyable knit! I'll definitely knit this one again.

In other fiber news, I paid a visit to Pittsburgh's newest yarn shop, Natural Stitches, on Friday. It's a marvelous store - huge and well organized. They have the largest selection of Malabrigo that I've ever seen in a shop, and they carry Dream in Color yarns, and what's not to love about that? I did a little shopping, of course, and brought home these goodies:

112507_DIChappyforest
Two skeins of Dream in Color Classy (worsted) in "happy forest"

112507_malabrigolace
One skein of Malabrigo Lace Baby Merino in "bobby blue"

112507_trekkinghanddyed
One skein of Trekking Hand Art in "tundra"

The Trekking has already been wound and cast on for a new pair of socks for Mark.

Wicked is also coming along, after I ripped and restarted the collar. The cables were looking a little wonky, so I re-knit the collar, this time loosely, and now the cables look better, but I am afraid that the collar will be too loose. I'm going to finish the raglan increases and try it on before I decide whether to rip and start again.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Violet said...

The shawl looks amazing! It matches your blog, too!

3:44 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

Well done! ... both on the lace and the shopping! :)

5:19 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

The shawl looks marvelous! (We always knew you could knit lace, you know!)

Is it fair to say that, judging from the purchase of laceweight Malabrigo, you've been bitten by the lace bug?

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well of course you can knit lace!
The shawl turned out great.

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super awesome, dude! And the photos look great (I'm guessing that other than a supernaturally long left arm, that the husband contributed the cool-angle shot) too.

5:45 PM  
Blogger ren said...

Jen, what a beautiful shawl! truly lovely looking... see you :-)

9:00 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

that shawl is amazing, truly amazing.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

The shawl is beautiful. Really pretty. You did a great job.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Terri Lynn said...

The shawl is gorgeous, I covet for a black shawl! You work is beautiful!

I can't wait to visit PA, I printed off all the info on shops from your sidebar!!!! Nice info, thanks for linking this!!! I really hope to meet you!

1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home