Monday, September 20, 2004

Whew- glad the weekend's over

I never thought that I would say that, but I am glad that hurricane Ivan has passed through Pittsburgh. We live along the Allegheny River, and for a while on Saturday, the flooding situation looked pretty hairy as the river was rising at about 4 inches per hour. Thankfully, we escaped with no flooding (the river crested at with about 2 feet to spare)- and were way luckier than our neighbors in the other riverfront towns like Etna, Sharpsburg and Millvale, where many, many homes and businesses were destroyed.

With all of the commotion, I got zero knitting done, but I hope to get back into the swing of things today and should have some knitting stuff to post later this week.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

It was scary, wasn't it? DH and I were glued to the news most of Friday evening and Saturday morning. That is so tragic about Etna, Sharpsburg and Millvale. It's not like hurricanes are a common event in Western PA!

Glad to hear you fared well. We were lucky, too. Just some road closings in our area.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Thanks Lisa- I'm glad that you guys were okay too. It's kind of silly to be scared, thinking about what the people who live in Florida, etc. go through, but you're right- we're so unaccustomed to that kind of weather that it can be devastating. I read your post about the diner you like. Mark and I are fans of Linda's in Sharpsburg, and I've yet to hear how they fared in the flooding. I will be heartbroken if they're gone!

3:55 PM  
Blogger luvs2knit said...

Jen...I'm glad to hear that you are okay and when you move to your new home, you won't have to worry about flooding ever again.

I, too, didn't knit a lot in the pass few days and feel totally lost. I love my knitting but there are other priorities in my life to consider.

Knit on..!!!

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home