Saturday, March 31, 2007

I met the Harlot! Or...how I was struck dumb in the presence of knitterly greatness.

Yesterday, the Yarn Harlot visited Pittsburgh. She wrote about our fair city on her blog, and said the nicest things.

I waited in anticipation all day for 5 o'clock to arrive, and when it did, I left work and promptly got stuck in the worst traffic. No worries, though. The lovely SJ and her fiance, J, had arrived early and had saved a seat for me. And what a seat - front row!

SJ and other knitters

As we waited for the Harlot to speak, everyone in the audience compared projects, petted yarn, and had a good old time. I knitted on my new traveling sock:

Appearing soon: the Harlot

Before long, she was introduced:

I couldn't take my eyes off her sweater

She talked about the muggles, and how knitters are underestimated. It was a great, and hilarious talk.

Petting her yarn

After her talk, there was a signing. SJ and I waited in line (with the ever-patient J), and chatted with Cheryl and Yvonne, who were right behind us. Finally, it was my turn. I wanted to tell Stephanie how much I loved her Bohus. I wanted to tell her how much her posts about renovating her bedroom made me laugh, and how I thought she was superwoman for doing it herself (we're having a new wood floor installed in April, and I laughed at her description of the dust, knowing what I was in for then). I wanted to tell her lots of things, but I was struck utterly dumb. I'm not sure what I said to her, but I am certain that it was neither coherent or intelligent.

I totally wore that necklace to match her sock. Kidding.  But it does match, huh?

Stephanie, if you ever read this, know that I think your knitting is amazing and inspirational, and that what you've been able to accomplish with your writing is phenomenal. Thank you for representing for knitters everywhere. And thanks for making me laugh every time I read your blog. You rock.

Edited 04/01/07 at 10:15pm: Here's proof that I may have said something funny (unless she was, um, humoring me). Thanks for the photo, SJ!

12 Comments:

Blogger Charissa said...

I was the one lurking around the fireplace with an annoyed baby. I was admiring your sock bag! Where'd you get it?

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was so AWESOME Jen! Thanks for giving me the courage to go...even without knitting in hand (I swear I will one day get my act together).
And what is really cool? Stephanie linked back to your blog as you linked to hers! So I checked out the pics from the event..I'm in one. Blurry, but I know it's me!! YAY! I'm a KNITTER!

3:44 PM  
Blogger AlisonH said...

Very cool. Thanks for the report!

10:22 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

J thanks you for the lovely things you said about him! (Honestly, I think he really enjoyed himself. He was telling all these people today what he did last night, and he actually sounded proud!)

I e-mailed you the candid shot of you and Stephanie; hope you got it.

And can you believe she linked to us? I'm still in shock. The comments I've gotten so far -- not one of them from the normal Pgh./Hurricane knitters! I even got one from Julia of Vesper Sock Yarn fame -- who I didn't realize was sitting right behind us. Ahhh! The others in our Wednesday night group are going to be sorry they missed this!

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, just popped in from the Harlot's blog and thought I would say hi. I totally get what you are saying about being struck dumb when you finally meet her. I couldn't remember what the heck came out of my mouth when I met her. I wish I had been as smart as you and taken a camera with me to get a picture of her. Oh well. Glad you had such a great time!! She truly is a wonderful, sincere and creative person.

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very, very awesome, dude.

Glad you and SJ (and J) had a great time. Sorry I missed it.

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I have found a link to your blog at the Yarn Harlot site. Just read your entry about the signing. Thanks for sharing. About your travelling sock: Do you knit it with Addi or Knit Picks DPN's? Am just curious. The needles do look pointier in compare to the Addi steel needles I know.
Greetings from Germany.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Here from the Harlot's blog. Wow, sure sounds like you all had an awesome time! I really hope she gets down my way sometime.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

*sniff sniff* I'm sorry I missed it, but I'm glad you guys had a great time! Maybe next year...

10:43 PM  
Blogger Terri Lynn said...

I love your site, drawn here by no other than the Yarn Harlot. But what karma is this, I love your title, I am fond of the date, you know, when the men landed on the moon, it was on my birthday, July 20, but I won't tell you my age, but I did see it all on tv, was so cool, I will be visiting you alot.

2:54 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

she was very complimentary of pittsburgh, huh? that's so great! and i'm sure you were extremely funny.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Lucky you! I have to go get the latest book. I have her other three.

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home