Sunday, January 20, 2008

Adventures in spinning.

After a few weeks with the wheel, I have two "completed" skeins of yarn (and I use that term loosely).

My first attempt, spun from Mauch Chunky roving and finished a couple of weeks ago, vaguely resembles yarn:



I've been working off and on (more off) on some Ashland Bay Colonial Wool roving since I finished the first yarn. I spun the last of that roving into singles today:



I had some trouble with my yarn tangling while I was plying on the Kromski's built-in kate, so Carol (feistywoman on Ravelry) suggested that I tie a bit of yarn around both of my bobbins at the whorl while they were on the kate, and it helped a lot:



I think that I'll still invest in a proper tensioned kate at some point, but this was a great quick and inexpensive substitute for now. Thanks, Carol!

After plying the singles and skeining, I was left with some pretty unbalanced yarn, so I soaked it, whacked it, and that seemed to help a lot:



The yarn is still not great, but it's definitely looking better. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to practice more! ;)

Even with all of this spinning, I have not forsaken commercial yarns. Let's just say I had a bit of a falling down this weekend:



Natural Stitches recently got in a shipment of Dream in Color Smooshy, and of course I had to go check it out in person. That yarn makes me feel all dizzy. In a good way.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger DPUTiger said...

Isn't Smooshy great? Oh, and I can play "name that color" too. Top is Cool Fire, bottom os Deep Seaflower and middle is a 400 series? Just an educated guess!

YOUR yarn looks great too! You're gonna be a pro in no time :)

12:03 AM  
Blogger paisley penguin said...

Your Lady E is a great backdrop for finished spun yarn!

1:03 AM  
Blogger Yvonne said...

HOORAY for spun yarn! You're doing awesome!

9:42 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Yarn, real yarn! Thank goodness you ripped out the crappy stuff I put on one of those bobbins.

Oh, and, mmmmm, Smooshy!

4:41 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

Anything else spinning away out there? You may want to check out my most recent blog post. I'm just sayin' ... :)

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home