Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I'm back.

What a wonderful trip. The wedding was gorgeous, and we had such a good time walking around NYC and spending time with friends. I was excited to see the StoryCorps booth in the World Trade Center Path station:

yes, I know I'm a geek

Though it was sad to see the WTC site. I knew that the train would be pulling in there, but that still didn't stop my heart from skipping a beat when the train emerged into daylight in the footprints of the towers. This is the first time I've seen the site, and I have nothing profound to say that hasn't been said a million times before. Amid an incredible feeling of sadness, though, it was good to see that New York goes on. Train stations are rebuilt, and eventually, buildings will be too. However, I was sickened by the vendors around the site who were selling little albums with photos of the towers on fire.

Anyway, to the yarn. I didn't buy as much as I had expected to:

that's it?

Left to right, that is Trekking XXL, Artyarns Ultramerino, and the Koigu. I also purchased a backup set of #1 DPNs and a couple of gifty items that will not be displayed here. Click here to see photos of my magical, mystical yarn tour. If the link doesn't work, email me [jennylrae(at)juno(dot)com] or leave a comment with your email address and I will send you an invite to view it.

I'll leave you with one other highlight of our visit to NYC. There is a bar on the Lower East Side called Schiller's Liquor Bar that we stopped in for pre-dinner drinks on Thursday. I was absolutely enamored by this place. The lighting and decor was incredible and I must have taken 3000 photos in there (some a little blurry, crooked, etc. - what can I say, we were there for drinks, after all). I'm pretty sure the bartender was getting a little annoyed with me. If you ever go there, be sure not to miss the bathroom (which, yes, I have photos of).

Schiller's.  Yes, the light was really like that.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sockyarnfest 2006! you definitely covered the nyc knitting scene well enough. mark definitely gets the trooper award. can't wait to see the rest of the photos and hear what your plans are for the yarns. socks, mayhaps?

12:38 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Welcome back! Looks like it was a great trip. I think I can understand why you came back with less yarn than you expected -- I think if I was faced with all that yarn to choose from, I'd be too overwhelmed to actually pick any!

1:13 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

I'm so impressed at your yarn tour and I loved the photos. What is even more impressive is that you talked the guys into accompanying you. That would never fly in my world. Looks like the Koigu selection at Purl is much, much better than when I was there. They hardly had any and I ended up buying some that I didn't even really like just to buy it. I SO want to go back to NYC!!!

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home