Friday, February 25, 2005

I've been tagged...

By Jane with the music survey thingie, so here goes:

1. Total amount of music files on your computer?

Zero. I used to be a huge Napster-phile about 4 or 5 years ago (has it really been that long?!?) but now it's illegal, so it's not worth getting caught. Fiance has an iPod and lots of music files, but we don't have similar musical tastes, so we don't share.

2. The last CD you bought was:

I can't remember, it's been so long- I think it was the Lost in Translation soundtrack. Fiance did get me a couple for xmas though- Modest Mouse- "Good news for people who love bad news", Frank Sinatra- "My way import", The Ray Noble Orchestra with Al Bowlly- "Midnight the stars and you" and the Charlie Brown Christmas CD.

3. What is the song you last listened to before reading this message:

I don't listen to a lot of music, so this is hard to answer. My radio is always tuned to NPR. I listened to the Lost in Translation soundtrack a few days ago while ironing, so probably that. My favorites from it are "Kaze wo atsumete" and Jesus and Mary Chain's "Just like honey" (a favorite from my youth).

4. Write down 5 songs that you often listen to or that mean a lot to you:

I'm not sure I could name only five, but here goes:
1. "In the aeroplane over the sea" by Neutral Milk Hotel. This song makes me so happy, like I am floating or something and has some of the most beautiful lyrics I've ever heard- I wish someone would sing me a love song like this! There is a gratuitous use of the singing saw in this song, so it will always be high on my list.
2. "Mother" by Tori Amos. Just typing that gave me goosebumps. I loved and miss the days when it was just her and her unbelievable voice and unbelievable piano. Also goosebump-worthy by T.A: "China", "Tear in your hand", heck, all of Little Earthquakes!
3. "Plainsong" by the Cure. Again, like Tori Amos, the Cure was basically the soundtrack of my teenage adolescent angst years, so pretty much every Cure song would have to be on this list up to and especially the album Disintegration. Every song on that album reminds me of the good parts of the angst like falling in love for the first time (or so I thought at the time!), but I picked Plainsong because it is so hauntingly beautiful. Other nods to the cure would be "Just like heaven", "The Lovecats", "Catch", etc., etc. etc.
4. "Perfect day" by Lou Reed (and covered by Duran Duran). Again, I can't stress how different the musical tastes are between fiance and I, but he asked me if the band that is playing our wedding could learn this song because it reminded him of me (aww...). Of course, I had the Lou Reed version in my head while he was thinking Duran Duran!
5. "Midnight the stars and you" by the Ray Noble orchestra, singer Al Bowlly. I originally heard this song at the end of the movie "The Shining", which is one my and fiance's favorite movies. It is at the very end, where you find out that Jack Nicholson has always been there. Anyway, I love music from the 20s, 30s and 40s and I could listen to this song on repeat a thousand times. As mentioned above, fiance bought it for me for xmas and we plan to play it at our wedding between band breaks.


Whew. That took forever. I think I could have gone on and on ad nauseum, but then I'd be here typing this all day! Thanks to Jane for the tag. I think I am supposed to pass this to three people, but it looks like everyone has done it already, except maybe Lisa, who I am going to pass it to. I hope it entices her to update- I miss reading her blog!

In knitting news, the socks are moving right along, but no pics of progress as they don't look a whole lot different than the last time I posted. I know, I am slow. Have a great weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home